top of page

Our Club News & Match Reports

Match Report: Goals galore for Newark Hockey Club

Ladies 1s

11-0 win vs Redhill

Newark Ladies 1s welcomed Redhill Ladies 1s hoping to build on last week's win, and didn't disappoint. Every play and movement was clinically implemented as the home side took control right from the start.

Charlotte Stainforth opened proceedings with her first league goal ever. Then Hannah Coe and Laura Donaldson took it in turn to score twice to go into half time 5-0. Vicky McMunn played provider for most goals and this continued into the second half as the pressure was kept on the visitors.

As the midfield took hold of the game, Donaldson scored a hat trick to take her tally to 5 before Stainforth added another, Millie Hill taking the score into double figures and Kate Lambert adding the final goal from a straight strike at a penalty corner.

The home defence had very little to do but stood firm as the visitors showed glimpses of danger. Georgia Barratt keeping a clean sheet as captain Katie Sandell, Megan Cocker, Georgia Andrews and Lambert stood firm in front of her.

Player: Laura Donaldson

Ladies 2s

2-0 loss vs SBU

Newark travelled to Southwell on Saturday morning with a full squad to play the Prem Champions. SBU have always proved to be a tough opponent home or away and this match was no exception. Newark, similar to last week, started the game at a high tempo and forced the opposition back into their own half but were not able to create any shots on goal. Newark enjoyed much of the early possession but were given a warning when SBU took the ball and broke through the middle shooting wide of the goal. Newark worked hard to press and made use of the substitutes available to maintain a high work rate. SBU finally broke the deadlock finding their way through the Newark defence with quick passes and moves. Newark were not put off though and continued to push for the equaliser; Sophie Chambers and Dani Ashwell winning several balls in the midfield and knocking them forward to create chances. Rachael Vickers was on hand throughout to pick up the loose balls at the back and clear to safety. SBU were visibly frustrated and more so when denied on several occasions by Player Lily Dean in goal. SBU scored their 2nd towards the end of the game and sealed their 3 points. Overall a strong effort by Newark and although disappointed not to take any points, the score could have been much worse if not for the outstanding performances of Rachael and Lily.

Player: Lily Dean Daisy: Dani Ashwell for falling over within the 1st minute and again on multiple occasions.

Ladies 4s

2-2 vs West Bridgford

Newark started the match strong with Freya Grocock making leading runs which finally paid off using her pace and taking the Goalie on single handed and Newark taking the lead. West Bridgford came fighting back and soon equalised. Freya Grocock and Emily Crisp made a great double act with Freya passing to Emily Crisp on the wing making the score 2-1. Newark continued to work hard in the second half and performed well with their ‘Ws’ and not allowing West Bridgford to break the defence of George Redican, Moira Chambers, Alison Wells with Kanky Andrews making some great channelling moves. Unfortunately, the defence found themselves under pressure and a penalty flick was awarded for obstruction and unfortunately Jane Stead was unable to make a save making the final score 2-2. A well deserve point gain through teamwork from the squad.

Goal Scorers: Freya Grocock & Emily Crisp

Player of the Match: Freya Grocock & Abbie Moisey

Mens 1s

5-1 win vs Ramgharia

Newark went into their second game against a Ramgharia Derby who in recent seasons have always been a difficult side to breakdown and have always shown a competitive spirit. This year though Newark made a change to that fact going into the game on the back of a great victory against Oundle last week. Newark Started the stronger team moving the ball around the back and asking questions of the Ramgharia defence, which held strong until 11minutes in, when man of the match, Tom Sheldon broke down the right taking the ball past a number of Ramgharia players and pulling the ball back to an unmarked Sam Smith on the penalty spot who swepped the ball away to put Newark ahead. Newark continued to pile on the pressure, creating chances at will but didn’t make them pay until 9 minutes later, when Newark won their 1st short corner of the game which was clinically dispatched by Alex Davies dragging the ball low and hard into the bottom corner. From the restart Newark pressed Ramgharia back and kept applying the pressure and caused a turn over from a Ramgharia hit out which went straight to Sam Smith who put Alex Davies through who put the ball into the back of the net, past the on rushing Ramgharia keeper. Newark then had a lapse in concentration only a moment later and gave the ball away on an attack and Ramgharia broke down their right side crossing the ball to their un marked centre forward on the penalty spot who swiftly put the ball away giving James Wakeland no time to move to react until the ball and gone into the net. The remainder of the half was played out with Newark missing numerous chances Newark started the second half the same way they started the game taking control of the game moving the ball comfortable round the back and moving up the pitch when the chances presented themselves Davies and Smith missed a handful of chances until Jack McMunn stole the ball and slipped it inside to Tom Roper who combined with Davies for a number of quick passes moving down the left wing and around the keeper allowing Davies to put the ball into the back of the net, to make it 4-1 to Newark. Only minutes later Davies turned provider when Tom Smith broke down the right wing and finding Davies in the ‘D’ who slipped the ball back to Sam Smith who rolled through180 degrees & slipped the ball into the bottom corner of the goal, 5-1 Newark. With only minutes left Newark let their game drop and allowed Ramgharia to create chances to score but Newark’s defence held strong not allowing them to score again. Man of the Match: Thomas Sheldon Goals: Alex Davies x3 Sam Smith x2 Team: James Wakeland, Dave Colcumbe, Ben Brown, Craig Joynes, Kieran Meppem, Tom Sheldon, Tom Roper, Tom Smith, Jack Mcmunn, Alex Davies, Sam Smith, John Reynolds.

Mens 2s

3-2 win vs Melton

Newark welcomed Melton for their first home fixture of the new season after last weeks defeat to Belper apprehension was high but everyone was determined to work hard for the correct result.

Newark started well and had Melton under pressure but a short corner against Newark result in a goal to Melton with a well struck shot going though the keepers legs (who claimed the 1st runner obstructed his view). Newark battled back and from their own short corner James Beedham was on hand to put home of the initial save from the keeper.

The game was played at a high tempo throughout and in the 2nd half Newark took the lead through Steve Littlewood who was in the right place to collect a rebound and put into a nearly empty net with a last ditch attempt by a defender not quite stopping the ball before it crossed the line. Melton soon equalised with a well worked short corner routine only for Newark to keep going and James Beedham getting his 2nd goal of the game from another short corner. Leaving Newark the 3-2 winners and showing what hard work an bring.

Goal Scorers:- James Beedham (2) Steve Littleowod (1) M.O.M:- Steve Littlewood

bottom of page