top of page

Our Club News & Match Reports

Match Report: Ladies 1s take the lead

A mixed bag of results for the club this week...

Ladies 1s

Win 9-1 away at Boots

An early start for a game at Lady Bay saw Newark Ladies 1s up and about on Saturday, and this early start obviously affected them as they conceded early on against Boots IVs. Boots were capable of quick counter attacking and Newark did not clear properly allowing the home side to score first. Thankfully the visitors moved into the next gear, the passing and movement kicked in and the team started to play hockey.

Player of the the Match, Georgia Andrews opened Newark's account as she attacked the home goal and finished off to square the match. Jade Feavyour, back into the team after injury, took a quick early free hit and found Hannah Coe who forced her into the circle but was denied by the keeper but Laura Donaldson was on hand to put the ball away.

As the pressure mounted on the home side, Newark were awarded a penalty flick when the ball was prevented from crossing the line by a foot. Donaldson stepped forward and scored before Millie Hill finished off the first half with a brace of quick goals.

In the second half, Donaldson added three more goals as the home side did not have a response to Newark's pressure. To end the match captain Katie Sandell scored from a straight strike penalty corner. The final score 9-1.

A good performance from Newark, showing teamwork and dedication and they remain deservedly top of the league table. Next week Beeston IVs are welcomed to Newark.

Player: Georgia Andrews

Ladies 2s

Lose 1-0 against Boots

Newark 2s first home league game of the season. Another 'all new' lineup gave Coach Andy McMunn some formation headaches, however, welcome contribution from regular 3s players Rosie Staniforth, Zoe White, Ann Crockett-McLean and Maddie Horrocks who stepped up well. Newark were really unlucky to lose 1-0 on a breakaway goal and a draw would have been a fair result. Everyone played really well and this was reflected in the man of match votes.

Special mention to new-to-the-2s star-striker Vicky McMunn getting injured on her first run out for which she was voted daisy of the day. After a visit to A&E, Vicky is now taking a relaxing break, get well soon!

Player(s): Rosie, Lauren (Magz) Verrills, Susan Tate.

Ladies 4s

Win 1-0 against Worksop

Newark started the match strong in the first half with most of the play in the attacking D the majority of the time. Holly Brown received a rebound and passed to Freya who fired the ball into the goal making Newark one goal up. Newcomer Gabbie Lucas who came on the pitch towards the end of the first half and used her speed and headed straight for goal but unfortunately missed by a small margin. In the second half Worksop came back strong creating many short corners but with the defensive team of Hannah Bond, Hannah Broomfield, George Redican, Ali Wells, Clare Dent and Abbie Mosiey taking every opportunity to run up with the ball to keep it away from the defensive D to ensure a final whistle of 1-0 to Newark.

Goal Scorer: Freya Grocock

Player of the Match: Abbie Moisey, Gabbie Lucas & Tash Gresswell

Mens 1s

Lose 3-1 away at Nuneaton

Newark travelled away to Nuneaton for their 3rd league game of the season. Newark went into the game full of confidence following their good start to the league. Both teams started the game lively with Nuneaton creating the first chance of the game early on breaking through the Newark midfield and defence, but an on rushing Ben Bradley managed to clear the ball wide. Where Newark managed to break down the right hand side, with Scott Robinson playing the ball across the ‘D’ to an unmarked Ryan Foster who only managed to deflect the ball wide. Newark continued to apply the pressure but unfortunately Newark’s forwards did not manage to put the finishing touches to the chances they created with numerous opportunities going past the post. Nuneaton then broke down the other end and managed to win a short corner which they successfully put away. Newark tried to push back but gave away the ball in the middle of the field and Nuneaton found their centre forward on the top of the ‘D’ who turned and fired the ball into the back of the net. After half time Newark took control of the game by keeping the ball for long periods of time and eventually managed to cause a breakthrough when the Nuneaton keeper picked him self up a green card for a minor offense outside of the ‘D’. This left Nuneaton vulnerable without a keeper for Newark’s short corner where, after a tough struggle from Newark, Ryan Foster managed to find the back of the net. Towards the end of the game, Newark were pressing for the equaliser but did not manage to break down the Nuneaton defence, who managed to pick the ball up and brake down the field with only Ben Bradley left in their way. Ben came out and managed to take the ball cleanly with his stick only knocking it onto the on rushing Nuneaton’s players stick who found his strike partner unmarked in the ‘d’ where he put the ball away into the empty net.

Goal scorer: Ryan Foster

M.o.m: Tom Smith

Mens 2s

Lose 5-1 at home against Lichfield

Newark took a well worked lead against Lichfield with a quick passing play that cut through the Lichfield defence. Nigel Bett finding Simon Higgs behind the back line whose square ball caught the keeper out and found Harry Beedham in the D with a simple tap in. This seemed to bring Lichfield to life and when they won a couple of short corners showed how clinical they could be with two well taken goals. Newark continued to work hard and kept the pressure on the Lichfield but some quick passes saw them have a counter attack which they scored their third goal from. Another well taken short corner saw a fourth and then they completed the scoring with a fifth. During the game several green and yellow cards were shown to each team. Goal Scorer:- Harry Beedham Man of Match:- Gary Barker

bottom of page